Directions from downtown Chicago.

Take I-90 (Kennedy Expressway) past O'Hare International Airport going west to Rockford. Exit on Roselle Road and turn left off the ramp. Take Roselle Road south for about four miles to Schaumburg Road.Turn left (or east) on Schaumburg Road and right (or south) at the Village of Schaumburg's municipal building. The park is located south of the municipal building.

 

 



INTERNATIONAL SCULPTURE PARK

The Chicago Athenaeum's International Sculpture Park is situated on 20 acres of meadow, forest, and natural prairie and is located one hour from downtown Chicago and five minutes from the Museum's new satellite facility in Schaumburg, Illinois.

HOURS
The International Sculpture Park is open daily from sunrise to sunset.

 

The International Sculpture Park copyright 1998-2011
The Chicago Athenaeum and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies

 

 
  "The Diver" by Jerry Peart, Chicago, Illinois. c. 1989

Measuring eight feet high by nine feet wide, "The Diver" is constructed of aluminum, and painted in polychrome.

 

 
  "Heavy Dog Kiss" by Dennis Oppenheim, New York, New York. 1993

Heavy Dog Kiss represents a pet lover's affection for his/her dog. The work is about seven feet high and constructed of fiberglass and painted polychrome.

 

 
  "Merchandise Mart Heads" by Nina Levy, New York, New York. 1994

The three heads cast in resin and steel are a playful commentary of the 1940's sculpture at The Merchandise Mart in Chicago.

 

 
  "Holds" by Nina Levy, New York, New York. 1994

Made from bronze powder, resin, and steel, The sculpture is in two parts and represents two clenched fists. The work is an anatomical study in keeping with the artist's other renown works.

 

 
  "Tongues" by Nina Levy, New York, New York. 1994

Made from bronze powder, resin. Each of the two tongues measures
72 x 38 x 39 inches and follows the anatomical research and recent contemporary works by the artist.

 

 
  "Together" by Jerzy S. Kenar, Chicago, Illinois. 1997

An architectural construction of cedar that soars more than 18 feet high."Together" is the gateway to the International Sculpture Park. The arch is comprised of two different colors of cedar, which twist in a noble baroque gesture of endless time and space. As a symbolic gesture to America and its communities, the top of the arch is interwoven.

 

 
  "Fiber Wave" by Makoto Sei Watanabe, Tokyo, Japan. 1998

"Fiber Wave," is comprised of 50 carbon rods, each 4.5 meters high. It represents nature's gentle beauty as it sways in the wind like a field of prairie grass. At the tip of each rod is a computer chip containing a solar battery and diode which emits a blue light. As the rods gently sway in the night breezes, they emulate fireflies, with twinkling lights that also suggest stars in the heavens. The sculpture was designed, fabricated, and constructed by Christian K. Narkiewicz-Laine and Ioannis Karalias. Special foundation requirements engineered by Ioannis Karalias. Installation provided by the Department of Engineering and Public Works, Village of Schaumburg. Japanese architect Makoto Sei Watanabe was the design consultant.

 

 
  "Vineland" by Jarle Rosseland, Oslo, Norway. 1999

"Vineland" commemorates the 1,000-year anniversary of the Viking explorer, Leif Eiriksson and his discovery of the Americas in the year 1001 AD. Fifteen giant stones in varying heights, from 6 to 15 feet, are arranged in the outline of a Viking ship with cryptic signs and the position of the stars and planets in the years 1,000,2,000, and 3,000 AD highlighted in gold leaf.

 

 
  "Gothic" by Klaus Vieregge, Obernkirchern, Germany. 1997

The work appears as a fragment of a large European Gothic cathedral that found its way to Chicago. The work is eight feet high and weighs more than two tons. The sculpture is made from finely chiseled stone quarried from the Obernkirchern region in Schaumburg, Germany.

 

 

 

  SCULPTURE PARK
NEXT
NEXT

 

Main Page About the MuseumBoard of Directors/Trustees and Museum Staff
Upcoming Events
Membership
American Architecture Good Design Awards Landmark ChicagoInternational Sculpture Park
Children of Chernobyl
Good Design Store

GOOD DESIGN® is a registered trademark of
The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design.
All information and images on this website may not be used
without the permission of The Chicago Athenaeum.
The GOOD DESIGN logo was designed by Mort Goldshall in 1950.
website © 2001  The Chicago Athenaeum